The Nevada Lawyer Assistance Program (NLAP) was created by the State Bar of Nevada to formalize the clinical services available to attorneys and judges suffering from abuse, addiction and/or mental health issues which may impair professional competence. The program is confidential and headed by a treatment facilities staffed with medical personnel. Lawyers may self-report to NLAP (voluntary) or be referred by the bar’s Office of Bar Counsel for assessment, referral for treatment, and ongoing monitoring and support (mandatory).
Nevada attorneys and judges can contact NLAP to speak with a professional and get treatment if deemed necessary. The initial evaluation is conducted by a medical professional and is provided at no charge to the attorney; all bills for those seeking a voluntary assessment are remitted to the state bar with a unique identifier known only to the medical provider. Should you elect to seek treatment or therapy, any expenses are worked out directly between you and the provider.
How to Get Help
Members may contact NLAP to speak with a professional and obtain the therapy and treatment necessary to effectively cope with working in the legal environment and the inherent stress associated with the practice of law. The State Bar of Nevada has contracted with medical professionals to provide services for the Nevada Professional Assistance Program. These providers:
- Serve as the central intake for participants; conduct a clinical assessment, including drug screening and patient history; and make recommendations for continued treatment, monitoring, etc.;
- Collect statistical data and provide data (without revealing the lawyer’s identity) to the bar;
- Provide for randomized drug screening collection and analysis; and
- Provide ongoing process groups to maintain recovery.
Members seeking assistance may contact any of the following contracted providers directly. For assistance or questions about which facility may be a good fit for you, please call 866-828-0022.
Carson CityJosee Perrine, M.A., LCADC, MFT Sierra Counseling & Neurotherapy 2874 N. Carson Street, Ste. 215 Carson City, NV 89706 775-885-7717 firstname.lastname@example.org
Las VegasMark Chase, MA, MBA, LCADC
Clinical Program Director, Professional Recovery Network (PRN) 7465 W. Lake Mead Blvd, Suite 224 Las Vegas, NV 89128 702-562-1230 email@example.com Landmark Recovery
3321 N. Buffalo Drive, Ste. 150 Las Vegas, NV 89129 702-903-4954
5950 Rock Farm Road Reno, NV 89511 888-216-7181 https://the-differents.com/
What Services does the Nevada Lawyer Assistance Program Provide?
- An initial confidential assessment conducted by a physician through the Nevada Professionals Assistance Program. Initial assessments are funded by NLAP and are provided at no charge to the attorney.
- Recommendations for treatment or ongoing therapy, if needed.
- Ongoing support of the NLAP program through weekly process group meetings conducted apart from the bar’s offices and attended by other attorneys.
- Monitoring reports (if requested by the attorney), which may be shared with employers for the purpose of demonstrated sobriety.