Permitted and Prohibited Items in the Exam Room
FOR THE FEBRUARY 2024 BAR EXAM
Permitted Exam Materials: The Board of Bar Examiners has approved the following Policies and Procedures, which will be enforced at the February 2024 Nevada Bar Exam. These rules include regulations on exam materials and personal items that may or may not be brought into the examination site. The approved rules are as follows:
If you are registered for computer testing and have completed the ILG registration process by deadline, you will need the following:
- Power Cord
- You may bring an external keyboard, mouse, and mouse pad which must be inspected and approved on the registration day.
NO EXTERNAL FANS, COOLING PADS, OR OTHER DEVICES ARE ALLOWED. NO STANDS OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING LAPTOP STANDS, ARE ALLOWED.
PARTS OF THIS EXAM WILL BE OPEN BOOK, meaning that you will be permitted to bring into the exam room books, outlines (including bar exam study outlines) and notes.
- EXAM DAY 1 (NV ESSAYS 1-6): THIS PORTION OF THE EXAM WILL BE OPEN BOOK, meaning that you will be permitted to bring into the exam room books, outlines (including bar exam study outlines) and notes, however all briefcases, backpacks, bags, boxes, storage bins, etc., must be stored in the separate bag room and are not allowed to remain in the testing rooms. ACCESS TO THE INTERNET WILL NOT BE PERMITTED. When you log into the ILG testing program on your laptop computer, your computer will block access to the internet. If you have created outlines, they must be brought in paper format as you will not have access to any other electronic device to retrieve your study materials.
- EXAM DAYS 2 (MBE) & 3 (NPT’S): THESE PORTIONS OF THE EXAM ARE CLOSED BOOK AND NO OUTSIDE MATERIALS OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED IN THE EXAM ROOMS DURING AN ACTIVE EXAM SESSION, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, STUDY MATERIALS, REFERENCE MATERIALS, BOOKS, PAPERS, OUTLINES, NOTES, DISKS, AND NOTECARDS.
STATE BAR OF NEVADA ISSUED PHOTO ID BADGE: Must be worn at all times while at the test site and always visible.
PHOTO ID: Valid passport, valid driver’s license or state identification card
EARPLUGS: All earplugs are subject to inspection by the proctors. Earplugs with attached wires, and noise-cancelling devices, and anything that fits over the head (e.g. earmuffs, headphones, etc.) are strictly prohibited. Disposable foam earplugs will be available from your proctors as well.
WALLETS, KEYS, SNACKS AND OTHER NECESSITIES:
- Water will be provided by the Board of Bar Examiners.
- Wallets and keys must be placed in a clear, plastic bag and must remain on top of the table in plain view at all times. Access to these items during an exam session is prohibited.
- Food items, feminine hygiene products and approved prescription medications, which are anticipated to be accessed during an exam, must be placed in a clear, plastic bag, separate from any plastic bag used for your wallet and keys. All items must be inspected and cleared before entry into the exam room.
- All food items must be unwrapped. No bottles or containers, except for original prescription medicine containers, are permitted in the exam room. All food items must be consumed without noise. Any items that cannot be consumed without noise or having strong odors will be banned from the exam room.
- Chewing gum is prohibited.
- Eyeglasses without the case or other accessories (e.g. cleaning cloth, spray): No sunglasses.
- You may bring in outside beverages in a CLEAR container that has no writing or label on it with a sealable lid. All items must be inspected and cleared before entry into the exam room.
FACE COVERING: You will be permitted to wear a face mask if you so choose, except if briefly asked to lower it for identification purposes. The face mask should be one that covers the nose and mouth and rest snugly above the notes, below the mount, and on the sides of the face.
LIP BALM: One stick of lip balm in a container with no label.
SEAT CUSHION: Plain covering with no designs, writing, or tags.
All items, with the exception of laptop equipment and seat cushion, must be displayed in a clear plastic bag. Please have your allowed items in a clear plastic bag separate from the plastic bag with your wallet and keys. All items must be inspected and cleared before entry into the exam room. No containers with labels, except for original prescription medicine containers, are permitted in the exam room.
If you enter the test room with any item(s) not listed above, you will be asked to toss the unpermitted item(s) into a trash receptacle or remove the item(s) to the Designated Storage Area (see below).
IN ADDITION TO THE ITEMS LISTED ABOVE THAT ARE PROHIBITED ITEMS, YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO BRING INTO THE EXAM ROOM ANY OTHER ELECTRONIC DEVICE OTHER THAN THE LAPTOP COMPUTER ON WHICH YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED THE ILG PROGRAM FOR TAKING THE EXAM, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANOTHER LAPTOP COMPUTER, A COMPUTER MONITOR, iPAD, CELL PHONE, APPLE WATCH OR ANY SIMILAR DEVICE THAT CAN CONNECT TO THE INTERNET, SCANNERS, THUMB DRIVES OR DISCS, ELECTRONIC ORGANIZERS, RECORDERS OR PLAYERS OR ANY OTHER RELATED DEVICE.
IN THE EVENT OF ANY QUESTION OR ISSUE ABOUT WHETHER A DEVICE IS PERMITTED, THE DECISION OF THE ADMISSIONS DIRECTOR WILL BE FINAL AND NON-APPEALABLE.
ANY VIOLATION OF THIS RULE WILL RESULT IN YOUR IMMEDIATE EXPLUSION FROM THE EXAM ROOM AND THE WITHDRAWL OF YOUR APPLICATION.
WEAPONS OR FIREARMS
WATCH/TIME KEEPING DEVICE: No type of time-keeping device will be allowed in the testing room. There will be clocks at the proctor tables and large countdown timers will be visible to all examinees throughout the exam.
HATS, CAPS, OR CLOTHING WITH AN ATTACHED HOOD: No hat, cap, or article of clothing with an attached hood will be permitted in a testing room. Nothing may be worn on the head in the testing areas, except approved religious apparel.
TOBACCO PRODUCTS: Cigarettes, vapors, e cigs, smokeless tobacco, cigars, pipe tobacco, or other similar products are not permitted in a testing room.
MECHANICAL PENCILS, MECHANICAL ERASERS, PENS, OR HIGHLIGHTERS: The State Bar of Nevada will provide three #2 pencils, at least two pens and two different color highlighters. You must use the supplies provided and the proctors will have extra supplies if needed.
BRIEFCASES, HANDBAGS, OR BACKPACKS OF ANY KIND.
ITEMS OF OUTERWEAR OR GEAR: Such as coats, jackets, gloves, scarves, umbrella, etc.
Should an applicant bring any personal items to the examination site, these personal items shall remain outside the examination room, and the applicant shall be solely responsible for the safety of these items. Neither the State Bar and/or the Board of Bar Examiners assume any liability for the loss of these items. It is recommended that applicants leave any personal items in their car, in their hotel room or with the hotel valet.
All applicants shall abide by all policies and procedures contained herein, as well as such other policies and procedures approved by the Board of Bar Examiners. Failure to abide by any of these policies and procedures will result in immediate expulsion from the test site and the expelled applicant’s bar examination will not be graded. The Admission Director’s decision in such cases shall be final; no appeals are allowed.