Las Vegas Justice Court Suspends and Continues Hearings; Establishes Other Safety Measures Through Jan. 4, 2021
On Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2020, the Justice Court for the Las Vegas Township issued Administrative Order 20-19, implementing several temporary procedures in that court to limit unnecessary conduct during the COVID-19 pandemic. The order becomes effective Nov. 30, 2020, and continues through Jan. 4, 2021, or until modified or rescinded.
Changes established by the order include:
- All criminal out-of-custody hearings scheduled between November 30,2020, and December 31, 2020, will be suspended and continued for not less than thirty (30) days.
- All court filings will be accepted electronically.
- Attorneys representing litigants with criminal matters are encouraged to check the website www.lasvegasjusticecourt.us for all pending matters before communicating with the court to obtain new court dates for these matters.
- Las Vegas Justice Court encourages the use of electronic communications for the resolution of cases, including, but not limited to, arraignments, status checks, filings of motions, and plea agreements.
- Clark County Detention Center requests for release on own recognizance for compelling medical reasons that arise between November 30,2020, and December 31, 2020, will be granted until further notice.
- The following case types and hearings will continue to be heard through in-person appearances, although appearance by alternative means is encouraged when possible:
- All in-custody proceedings for criminal matters;
- Bail motion hearings, motions to quash bench warrants, and motions for own recognizance walk-through on arrest warrants, until arrangements can be made to hear these matters by alternative means;
- Civil temporary or extended protection orders;
- Unlawful Towing cases;
- Objections to Claims of Exemption; and
- All currently scheduled Las Vegas Justice Court civil hearings are ordered to be conducted by video or telephonic means whenever possible; decided on the papers; or rescheduled unless otherwise directed by a Las Vegas Justice Court judge.
- Small claims trials, small claims motion hearings, and small claims examinations of judgment currently set will be continued to a future date.
- The Traffic customer-service lobby remains closed to the public until further notice.
For more information, see Administrative Order 20-19.